Sunday, November 8, 2009

You're simply the best...

As we come crashing toward the end of another decade, I thought it fitting to list my favorite...oh I'll just say it...the best pop songs of the past decade. There were a lot of songs and this is a long list, and if your favorite does not appear, I am sorry...maybe you could comment on what I am missing. I feel it is important to get these lists out of the way and clear the way for the best of 09 lists, so here is the full horror below (in alpha order--it's just easier that way):

A-HA--Summer Moved On
ABC--The Very First Time
ADELE-Hometown Glory
AIR--Cherry Blossom Girl
AIRBORNE TOXIC EVENT--Sometime Around Midnight
ALL SAINTS--Pure Shores
AMY WINEHOUSE--Back to Black/Rehab
ANNIE LENNOX--I've Got a Life (Eurythmics)/Into the West
ANNIE--Heartbeat/Chewing Gum/Songs Remind me of You/Anthonio/I Don't Like Your Band/I Know Your Girlfriend Hates Me
ANTONY & THE JOHNSONS--Crazy in Love
APPLETON--Don't Worry
ARCADE FIRE--Neighbourhood #3/Intervention
ARCTIC MONKEYS--I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor/505/Flouerscent Adolescent
BANANARAMA--Love Comes/Look on the Floor (Hypnotic Tango)
BASEMENT JAXX--Romeo/Where's Your Head At?/Plug it in/Oh My Gosh/Take Me Back to Your House/Raindrops
BAT FOR LASHES--What's a Girl to Do?/Moon & Moon/Daniel
BELLE & SEBASTIAN--Dear Catastrophe Waitress/Step Into My Office, Baby
BETH ORTON--Bobby Gentry
BEYONCE--Crazy in Love/Naughty Girl/Irreplaceable/Ring the Alarm/Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)/If I Were a Boy/Sweet Dreams/Halo
BIG PINK--Dominos
BIRD & THE BEE--My Fair Lady/Diamond Dave
BJORK--Pagan Poetry/Unison/Undo/Triumph of a Heart/Wanderlust
BLACK BOX RECORDER--Facts of Life/These Are the Things
BLACK KIDS--I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You
BLAKE LEWIS--Heartbreak on Vinyl
BLOC PARTY--Banquet
BLUR--Out of Time
BPA--Toe Jam (w/David Byrne)
BRAVERY--An Honest Mistake
BRENDAN BENSON--Garbage Day
BRITISH SEA POWER--It Ended on an Oily Stage
BRITNEY SPEARS--Toxic/Gimme More/Piece of Me/Womanizer
BRITTA PHILLIPS/DEAN WAREHAM--Ginger Snaps
BWO--Sunshine in the Rain/Give me the Night/Destiny of Love
CALVIN HARRIS--Flashback
CAMERA OBSCURA--Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken/Careless Love
CAMILLE--Money Note
CARDIGANS--Song for the Leftovers (A Camp)/For What It's Worth/Love Has Left the Room (A Camp)
CHARLOTTE GAINSBOURG--The Songs That We Sing
CHEMICAL BROTHERS--Out of Control
CHRSTINA AGUILERA--Beautiful
CICADA--Love Don't Come Easy/Don't Stare at the Sun
CLIENT--Don't Call me Baby
COLDPLAY--Trouble/The Scientist/Clocks/Animals/White Shadows/Talk/Speed of Sound/Viva la Vida/Life in Technicolour ii/Lovers in Japan
CORINNE BAILEY RAE--Like a Star
CRAIG ARMSTRONG--Wake Up in New York (w/Evan Dando)
CURVE--Gift/My Tiled White Floor/Signals & Alibis
CUT COPY--Out There on the Ice/Lights & Music/Hearts on Fire/Far Away
CUT OFF YOUR HANDS--Happy as can be
CYNDI LAUPER--Into the Nightlife/Echo/Grab a Hold
DAFT PUNK--One More Time/Digital Love/Music Sounds Better With You (Stardust)
DANNII MINOGUE--Put the Needle on it/I Begin to Wonder
DARREN HAYES--Unlovable/Pop!ular/Who Would Have Thought/Step Into the Light/Casey
DAVID BOWIE--Slip Away/Never Get Old
DAVID SYLVIAN--Ride/Wonderful World (Nine Horses)
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE--Brothers on a Hotel Bed/Meet Me on the Equinox
DELAYS--Valentine/Love Made Visible
DEPECHE MODE--Freelove/Precious/Martyr/Wrong
DESTINY'S CHILD--Lose My Breath
DIDO--White Flag
DIVINE COMEDY--Absent Friends/Happy Goth/Lady of a Certain Age
DOVES--Pounding/Caught by the River/Black & White Town/Kingdom of Rust
DRAGONETTE--Take it Like a Man/Jesus Doesn't Love me Anymore/Pick up the Phone/We Rule the World
DUFFY--Rockferry/Warwick Avenue
DURAN DURAN--Sunrise/The Valley
ED HARCOURT--She Fell Into My Arms/You Only Call me When You're Drunk/Rain on the Pretty Ones
EDITORS--Munich/Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors/Papillon/No Sound But the Wind
ELBOW--Newborn/Fugitive Motel/Sounding Off/Leaders of the Free World
ELVIS COSTELLO--45/When I Was Cruel no. 2
EMILIANA TORRINI--Gollum's Song
EMMA BUNTON--Crickets Sing for Anamaria
EMPIRE OF THE SUN--Walking on a Dream
ENYA--May it Be
ERASURE--Breathe/Here I Go Impossible Again/I Could Fall in Love With You/Sunday Girl
FEIST--1234/My Moon My Man
FILTHY DUKES--Messages
FIONA APPLE--O'Sailor
FISCHERSPOONER--Emerge/Never Win/The Best Revenge
FLAMING LIPS--Do You Realize?/Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
FLORENCE & THE MACHINE--Rabbit Heart/Howl
FRANKMUSIK--Vacant Heart
FRANZ FERDINAND--Take Me Out/Michael/L. Wells/Ulysses
FROU FROU--Let Go
GARBAGE--Bleed Like Me/Tell Me Where it Hurts
GEORGE MICHAEL--Freeek!/Amazing
GHOSTS--The World is Outside
GIRL CALLED EDDY--Heartache/Girls Can Really Tear You Up Inside/Golden/People Who Used to Dream About the Future
GIRLS ALOUD--Biology/No Good Advice/The Show/Sexy! No No No/Call the Shots/Girl Overboard/The Promise/The Loving Kind
GLASVEGAS--Flowers & Football Tops/Daddy's Gone
GNARLS BARKLEY--Crazy
GOLDFRAPP--Lovely Head/Pilots/Utopia/Black Cherry/Strict Machine/Twist/Ooh La La/Ride a White Horse/Fly Me Away/Number 1/A & E/Caravan Girl
GORILLAZ--Feel Good, Inc./Clint Eastwood
GOSSIP--Heavy Cross/Men in Love
GRACE JONES--William's Blood/Corporate Cannibal
GUILLEMOTS--If the World Ends/Annie, Let's Not Wait
GWEN STEFANI--What You Waiting For?/Hollaback Girl/Hey Baby (No Doubt)/Hella Good (No Doubt)/Underneath it All (No Doubt)/Cool/Early Winter/Wonderful Life/The Real Thing
HERCULES & LOVE AFFAIR--Blind
HOOSIERS--Goodbye Mr. A
HOT CHIP--Ready for the Floor
HUMAN LEAGUE--All I Ever Wanted/Love me Madly
I AM X--President
IAN BROWN--For the Glory
IMOGEN HEAP--Hide & Seek
INTERPOL--NYC
JACK PENATE--So Near
JARVIS COCKER--Cunts are Still Running the World
JENS LEKMAN--Sipping on the Sweet Nectar/Into Eternity
JOSEPH ARTHUR--In the Sun/Honey & the Moon
JULIET--Avalon
JUNIOR SENIOR--Move Your Feet/Shake Your Coconuts/Take My Time/Can I Get Get Get
JUSTICE--D.A.N.C.E./DVNO/Phantom 1/2
JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE--Cry me a River
KAISER CHIEFS--I Predict a Riot/Everything's Average Nowadays/Addicted to Drugs
KANYE WEST--Love Lockdown
KATE BUSH--King of the Mountain
KEANE--Everybody's Changing/Bend & Break/Bedshaped/Spiralling
KELIS--Finest Dreams (w/Richard X)/Milkshake
KELLY CLARKSON--Since You Been Gone
KILLERS--Mr. Brightside/Somebody Told Me/All These Things That I've Done/When You Were Young/Read My Mind/Human
KIM WILDE--Perfect Girl
KIRSTY MACCOLL--Mambo de la Luna/In These Shoes?/Treachery
KLEERUP--Longing for Lullabies (w/Titiyo)
KNIFE--Heartbeats/Silent Shout
KYLIE MINOGUE--On a Night Like This/Disco Down/Light Years/Your Disco Needs You/Can't Get You Out of my Head/Love at First Sight/In Your Eyes/Slow/Secret (Take You Home)/I Believe in You/In My Arms/The One/Wow/Carried Away/White Diamond
LA ROUX--Bulletproof/Quicksand/Tigerlily/Cover My Eyes
LADY GAGA--Pokerface/Lovegame/Paparazzi/Bad Romance
LADYHAWKE--Magic/My Delerium/Paris is Burning
LADYTRON--Runaway/Destroy Everything you Touch
LAST SHADOW PUPPETS--Age of the Understatement/My Mistakes Were Made For You
LES RYTHMES DIGITALES--(Hey You) What's That Sound?/Sometimes
LIGHTNING SEEDS--Don't Walk On By
LILY ALLEN--Smile/LDN/Nan, You're a Window Shopper/The Fear/I Could Say/Fuck You
LITTLE BOOTS--New in Town/Stuck on Repeat/Remedy/Symmetry
LUCKY SOUL--Add Your Light to Mine/Lips Are Unhappy
LUKE HAINES--Going Off My Rocker at the Art School Bop
M.I.A.--Galang/10 Dollar/URAQT/Bird Flu/Boyz/Jimmy/Paper Planes
M83--Kim & Jessie/Graveyard Girl
MADNESS--NW5/Liberty of Norton Fulgate
MADONNA--Music/Don't Tell Me/Impressive Instant/Runaway Lover/Die Another Day/American Life/Hung Up/Get Together/Sorry/Jump
MAPS--I Dream of Crystal
MARC ALMOND--Glorious/Under Your Wing/Lights/When It's Your Time/Love in a Time of Science/Monoculture (Soft Cell)/The Night (Soft Cell)/Last Chance (Soft Cell)/Divided Soul (Soft Cell)/So Long the Path/The Storks/Redeem Me/I Have Lived/Way You Walk/Suicide Saloon/Kill Me or Make me Beautiful/Weakness for Roses/Boulevards of Magadan
MARK RONSON--Valerie (w/Amy Winehouse)
MARSHEAUX--Destroy Me/Summer
MARTINA TOPLEY-BIRD--Need One
MARY ONETTES--Slow/Void/Puzzles
MASSIVE ATTACK--What Your Soul Sings (w/Sinead O'Connor)/Prayer for England (w/Sinead O'Connor)/Live With Me (w/Terry Callier)
MATINEE CLUB--Jane Falls Down
MAXIMO PARK--Apply Some Pressure
MCALMONT (DAVID)--Falling (McAlmont/Butler)/Bring it Back (McAlmont/Butler)/Back 4 Good (McAlmont/Butler)/Snow (w/Craig Armstrong)
MELANIE C--I Turn To You/Northern Star
MELODY CLUB--Baby
MELODY GARDOT--Who Will Comfort Me?/Your Heart is as Black as Night
METRIC--Sick Muse
MGMT--Kids/Electric Feel
MIDNIGHT JUGGERNAUTS--Into the Galaxy
MIIKE SNOW--Silvia
MISSY ELLIOTT-Get Ur Freak On/Work It/One Minute Man/4 My People (Basement Jaxx Mix)
MOBY--We Are All Made of Stars
MOLOKO--Familiar Feeling/Forever More
MONACO--I've Got a Feeling
MORRISSEY--Irish Blood, English Heart/I Have Forgiven Jesus/First of the Gang to Die/You Have Killed Me/Dear God, Please Help Me/I'm Throwing my Arms Around Paris
MUMMERS--Lorca and the Orange Tree
MUSE--Butterflies & Hurricanes/Supernatural Black Hole
N.E.R.D.--Truth or Dare (w/Kelis)
NENEH CHERRY--Twisted Mess (w/Craig Armstrong)
NEON NEON--Raquel/I Told Her on Alderaan
NEW ORDER--Here to Stay/Crystal/Krafty
NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS--Nature Boy/There She Goes, My Beautiful World
NINE INCH NAILS--The Hand That Feeds/Capital G/Discipline
NOISETTES--Never Forget You/Don't Upset the Rhythm
N-SYNC--Bye Bye Bye/Pop
PALOMA FAITH--New York/Stargazer
PASSION PIT--The Reeling
PATRICK WOLF--Accident & Emergency/Magpie/The Sun is Often Out
PET SHOP BOYS--Home & Dry/Birthday Boy/Miracles/Flamboyant/Integral/Minimal/The Sodom & Gomorrah Show/Casanova in Hell/Fugitive/Love, Etc./Pandemonium/All Around the World/Did You See Me Coming?
PETER GABRIEL--Growing Up/Sky Blue/More Than This
PHOENIX--Lisztomania/1901
PINK--Just Like a Pill/18 Wheeler/Family Portrait/Who Knew/U + Ur Hand/Please Don't Leave Me/I Don't Believe You/It's All Your Fault
PIPETTES--Pull Shapes/Winter's Sky/Judy
PORTISHEAD--The Rip/Threads
POSTMARKS--No One Said This Would Be Easy/My Lucky Charm
PREFAB SPROUT--Ride/Angel of Love
PRESETS--This Boy's in Love/If I Know You
PRIMAL SCREAM--Swastika Eyes/Miss Lucifer/Deep Hit of Morning Sun/Glory of Love
PULP--Bad Cover Version
R.E.M.--Imitation of Life/I'll Take the Rain/Living Well is the Best Revenge
RACHEL STEVENS--Some Girls/Crazy Boys/Negotiate With Love/I Said Never Again (But here we are)/Nothing Good About This Goodbye
RADIOHEAD--Everything In It's Right Place/Idioteque/Pyramid/Knives Out/Life in a Glass House/Weird Fishes/House of Cards
RAVEONETTES--Love in a Trashcan/That Great Love Sound/Last Dance/Boys Who Rape (Should All Be Destroyed)
REX THE DOG--Bubblicious
RICHARD HAWLEY--Open Up Your Door
RIHANNA--Umbrella/SOS/Don't Stop the Music/Shut Up & Drive
ROBBIE WILLIAMS--Rock DJ/Lovelight/She's Madonna/Feel
ROBYN--Be Mine!/Handle Me/Who's That Girl/Konichiwa Bitches/With Every Heartbeat (w/Kleerup)
ROISIN MURPHY--If We're In Love/Sow Into You/Ramalama (Bang Bang)/Overpowered/You Know Me Better/Let Me Know/Movie Star/Primitive
ROYKSOPP--Only This Moment/You Don't Have a Clue/What Else is There?
RUFUS WAINWRIGHT--Oh What a World/I Don't Know What it is/One You Love/Memphis Skyline
SADE--By Your Side/King of Sorrow
SAINT ETIENNE--Action/Stars Above Us/Good Thing/Lightning Strikes Twice/Side Streets/Teenage Winter/Milk Bottle Symphony/Method of Modern Love/This is Tomorrow
SALLY SHAPIRO--I Know/Anorak Christmas/Love in July/Miracle
SAM SPARRO--Black & Gold
SANTOGOLD (SANTIGOLD)--L.E.S. Artistes/Lights Out/I'm a Lady
SARAH NIXEY--The Collector/Strangelove
SCHOOL OF SEVEN BELLS--My Cabal
SCISSOR SISTERS--Take Your Mama/I Don't Feel Like Dancin'/Mary/Laura/Filthy Gorgeous/It Can't Come Quickly Enough
SCRITTI POLITTI--The Boom Boom Bap
SEAL--Amazing/My Vision
SHOUT OUT LOUDS--Tonight I Have to Leave It/Impossible
SHRIEKBACK--Hooray for Everything
SIA--Breathe Me
SIGUR ROS--Svefn-g-englar/Gobbledigook
SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO--I Believe/It's the Beat/Cruel Intentions
SIOBAHN DONAGHY--Don't Give It Up/So You Say/Medevac/Goldfish
SIOUXSIE--Into a Swan/If It Doesn't Kill You/Here Comes That Day
SKYE--Tell Me About Your Day
SNEAKER PIMPS--Lightning Field/Curl
SOLANGE--Sandcastle Disco/I Decided
SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR--Murder on the Dance Floor/Music Gets the Best of Me/Catch You/Me & My Imagination/China Heart/Supersonic/Heartbreak Make Me a Dancer
SPARKS--Suburban Homeboy/Good Morning/Dick Around/Perfume
STEVEN LINDSAY--Skywriter/Let it be Love (w/Craig Armstrong)
STROKES--Last Nite
SUGABABES--Freak Like Me/Caught in a Moment/Ugly/Hole in the Head/Push the Button/About You Now/Every Heart Broken
TEARS--Refugees/Lovers/Love as Strong as Death/The Asylum
TEARS FOR FEARS--Closest Thing to Heaven
TEDDYBEARS--Yours to Keep (w/Neneh Cherry)/Punkrocker (w/Iggy Pop)
TEMPOSHARK--It's Better to Have Loved
TEXAS--Can't Resist/Getaway
THOM YORKE--Analyse/And It Rained All Night/Harrowdown Hill
TING TINGS--That's Not My Name/Shut Up & Let Me Go
TOM WAITS--Flower's Grave/Lost in the Harbour/Table Top Joe/Coney Island Baby/Day After Tomorrow
TORI AMOS--A Sorta Fairytale/Gold Dust
TRACEY THORN--It's All True/Raise the Roof/Hands Up to the Ceiling
TRAVIS--Closer/Re-Offender
U2--Beautiful Day/Elevation/Vertigo/Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
VAMPIRE WEEKEND--A-Punk/Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa/Bryn/Horchata
VEILS--Under the Folding Branches/Pan/Calliope!/Sit Down By the Fire
VENUS HUM--Hummingbirds/Montana
WENDY & LISA--Invisible
WHIP--Dubsex/Sister Siam
WHITE LIES--To Lose My Life/Death
YEAH YEAH YEAHS--Maps/Zero/Heads Will Roll/Soft Shock/Hysteric
YELLE--Ce Jeu/Je Veux te Voir
YELLO--Planet Dada/You Better Hide
YUKSEK--Tonight/So Far Away From the Sea
ZERO 7--Destiny/In the Waiting Line
ZOOT WOMAN--Lonely By Your Side/Living in a Magazine/We Won't Break

Enough 4 ya? And these were just the best...

No comments: